Thursday, January 27, 2011

Oscar Nominations Were As Expected

Well, I did pretty well with my choices for the Best Picture nominations.  I hit them all except "True Grit."  It is a well-done film with fine acting, however, I haven't given it much thought since seeing it two weeks ago.  My main complaint about the film is Jeff Bridges (who I adore and was so happy to see win last year for "Crazy Heart.")  I spent much of the film trying to understand his mumbling.  There were several scenes when I didn't catch one word he said.  I'm also taken aback by the heaps of praise on this film when it is a rehash of an old standard.  There is very little original in this film (except for Hailee Steinfeld who was nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category at the young age of 14) so I'm baffled as to why it is generating such wonderful reviews and press.  Maybe Westerns aren't my thing but I did love Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" as well as films like "Tombstone" "The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford" "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" "The Magnificent Seven" and "Pale Rider" to mention a few.  "True Grit" does do a wonderful job depicting the era of the late 1800's and the clothing worn seems genuine, as well as the language of the time.  But I'm still not seeing this as one of the great films, it's a good film but not destined to be a classic.  That will always belong to the original and to John Wayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment